3/15/19: The 147.06 repeater is offline. Club activity will QSY to 147.15.
The The East Alabama Amateur Radio Club has several Certified Volunteer Examiners who can test up to the Extra Class.
The Club also does OPEN TESTING, meaning that you do not have to be a club member to test with us.
Check the calendar for testing dates.
The American Radio Relay League (ARRL) coordinates the testing and licensing of new and current amateur radio operators. The following ARRL requirements are strictly followed:
"Exam sessions are conducted by volunteers working under the direction of the FCC and a Volunteer Exam Coordinator (VEC). There will likely be a charge for taking the exam. The exam fee is set by the VEC and is usually $15 or less. Contact the exam session administrator to determine the fee that applies to the exam session you plan to attend, the documents required and to verify the session date and time. VEC organizations may have different policies regarding candidate procedures and requirements. The FCC does not charge a fee to issue an initial license or for standard changes to a license. However, there may be fees for other FCC services.
What to Bring:
1. One legal photo ID (identification): a. State Driver’s License b. Government issued Passport c. Military or Law Enforcement Officer Photo ID card d. Student School Photo ID card e. State Photo ID card
2. If no photo ID is available, two forms of identification: a. Non-photo State ID card (some states still have them) b. Birth certificate (must have the appropriate seal) c. Social security card d. Employer's wage statement or Minor's work permit e. School ID card f. School or Public Library card g. Utility bill, bank statement or other business correspondence that specifically names the person; or a postmarked envelope addressed to the person at his or her current mailing address as it appears on the Form 605.
3. Students/minors without a photo ID need to bring only one of the above items if a legal guardian presents their photo ID; otherwise two non-photo IDs are required.
4. Social Security Number (SSN) or your FCC issued Federal Registration Number (FRN); VEC’s are required by the FCC to submit either your SSN or your FRN number with your license application form. If you prefer not to give your SSN at the exam session, then you may register your SSN with the FCC before exam day. Once you have a FCC issued FRN, you may no longer use your SSN on the application. For instructions on how to register your SSN with the FCC and receive a FRN, visit the FCC's FAQ page and the FCC's registration instructions page. Please note that some exam teams will only accept a valid FRN on your application. Check with your local exam team before exam day.
5. If applicable, bring either a photocopy of your current Amateur Radio license or a reference copy printed out from the FCC website, the license information printed from ARRL website or QRZ website, or the original(s) and photocopy(s) of any Certificates of Successful Completion of Examination (CSCE) you may hold from previous exam sessions. If your license has already been issued by FCC, the CSCE showing license credit is not needed. The photocopy(s) will not be returned. Instructions on how to obtain an official FCC license copy are on our Obtain License Copy web page.
6. Two number two pencils with erasers and a pen.
7. A calculator with the memory erased and formulas cleared is allowed. You may not bring any written notes or calculations into the exam session. Slide rules and logarithmic tables are acceptable, as long as they're free of notes and formulas. Cell phone must be silenced or turned off during the exam session and the phones' calculator function may not be used. In addition, iPhones, iPads, Androids, smartphones, Blackberry devices and all similar electronic devices with a calculator capability, may NOT be used.
8. Bring a check, a money order or cash to cover the exam session fee(s). Check the ARRL VEC’s current exam fees."
For more information about testing, please contact us!